Raytheon Intelligence and Space (RIS) is looking for a Senior Java Software Developer
to support the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) program. This position can be remote.
AWIPS is central to the ability of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS) to predict weather, water, and climate conditions. AWIPS provides NWS with the means to integrate meteorological and hydrological data into a single computer workstation. It draws data from an array of weather sensors, satellites, and numerical forecast guidance, processes and distributes the data from the 175 operational sites including Weather Forecast Offices, River Forecast Centers, and national centers. AWIPS is the NWS's critical system for rapid, highly reliable warnings and forecasts of weather events that affect the United States, its territories, and adjacent waters. Life with Raytheon Intelligence and Space
In this role, you will work with an amazing team that is providing National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS) with the means to integrate meteorological and hydrological data into a single computer workstation. As the NWS' partner this team is responsible for AWIPS operations, maintenance, 24/7 technical support, and Product Improvement, the Raytheon AWIPS team supports these critical operations.
This position is located in Silver Spring, Maryland. Relocation assistance is not authorized for this position. What You will Get to Do:
As a Senior Java Software Developer
, you will play a crucial role in supporting the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) program using Java, Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) architecture, and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) / Enterprise Bus (ESB) software technologies.
As a Senior Java Software Developer
, you will work as a software developer and integrator as part of a development team, which utilizes a diverse dynamic workforce, including many experts in their fields throughout the design, development and maintenance life cycle.
As Senior Java Software Developer
, your responsibilities will also include:
- Design and code software components, units, and modules that meet product specification and development schedules.
- Test and debug assigned components and units, resp
- Participate in large system and subsystem planning.
- Adhere to product build and release schedules and strategies.
- Act as a technical resource for lower-level developers.
- Possess a comprehensive knowledge of one or more platforms and operating systems and multiple programming languages. Typically requires knowledge of one or more systems architectures.
- Understand a variety of the field concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Perform a variety of complicated tasks and use a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Develop new functional capabilities within software applications to meet a wide range of customer requirements and operational needs.
- Integrate a wide variety of applications from various sources, and ensuring they meet performance standards for stability and resource utilization
- Adhere to accepted standards for development, including writing unit tests which provide a high percentage of code coverage, participating in peer code reviews, conducting design reviews, and generating test plans to ensure maximum stability and quality of code
You will Bring These Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or other relevant STEM discipline.
- At least 5 years of recent software development experience
- Software development in Java or a thorough understanding of Java gained through formal training can substitute for this experience
- Experience in software development using Object Oriented Methodologies. Object Oriented Analysis (OOA) and Object-Oriented Design (OOD) skills
- Programming skills Java/J2EE
- Proficiency in Unix and/or Linux
- US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Public Trust - candidate must be able to pass a National Agency Check (NAC).
It Would Be Great if You Also Had:
- Experience using Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and/or Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) web services architecture. A thorough understanding of ESB or J2EE gained through formal training can substitute for this experience.
- Experience with Software design tools such as Rational Rose, Rhapsody, or comparable tools
- Experience with scripting is a plus (Perl & Python as well as others)
- Experience and/or knowledge with Web Service design and development
- Experience and/or knowledge with Service Oriented Architecture
- Experience developing and/or supporting solutions for weather and meteorological science.
- Experience in Extensible Markup Language (XML), Unified Modeling Language (UML), Eclipse IDE, database, and/or Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) a plus.
- Experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or OpenGL technologies a plus.
Due to the nature of the work, we can only consider US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Public Trust - candidate must be able to pass a National Agency Check (NAC).
What We Can Offer You:
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance understanding its importance to overall wellbeing and productivity.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Raytheon tenures, and we are developing an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on roles that are more complex in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Raytheon, we embrace and respect our differences. Diverse backgrounds, experiences, and views benefit our environment and problem solving, ultimately leading to greater success across the business. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion and continually striving for a more collaborative, respectful, and equitable workplace. We have nine employee-led Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), reaching 181,000 employees globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences.
Benefits: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k) match, flexible spending accounts, EAP, education assistance, parental leave, paid time off, and holidays.
#WeAreRIS #EngineerJobs #EngineeringCareers
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.