I.M. Systems Group Location:
US Job ID:
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG)'s eIAWS® solution integrates sets of heterogeneous observations (from in-situ, radar, and satellite platforms), NWP model outputs, analyses, and nowcasting results for frequently updated en-route and airport terminal aviation weather to support the decision making by domestic and international users in the civil aviation sector.
We are seeking a highly motivated/talented Numerical Weather Modeling System Scientist to support multiple development needs for our customers. Solid Linux workflow programming, scientific software development, data handling skills, ability to design, enhance, and implement algorithms, and creativity are all emphasized.
This position will be focused on eIAWS® system integrating, which uses workflow managements (rocoto, ecflow, airflow) and scripts (bash, kshell, python) to integrate data processing, convective nowcasting, weather model initialization, atmosphere data assimilation, NWP modeling and post-processing, aviation weather product generating and delivering to an integrated operational system to work seamlessly and automatically.
Work location will be at IMSG HQ Office in Rockville, Maryland and/or virtual at home with company provided computer and software. Responsibilities
This scope of work will include (but not limited to)
- Learning and mastering the existing algorithm and code modules;
- Developing and maintaining workflow scripts to run multiple programs with dependencies on other and on time;
- Conducting and monitoring Nowcasting and NWP model operations on daily basis;
- Cooperating with other team members to ensure data flow throughout the entire prediction process;
- Assisting in product visualization, distribution and performance evaluation;
- Deploying the upgrades to production system;
- Documenting the development and user operations and maintenance manual.
- MS or above in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science; BS with sufficient background will be considered; Computer Science Degree major or minor will be a plus.
- In-depth training background or hands-on experience in science-based algorithm code development;
- Familiar with or capable of handling large variety and volume of weather data flow for in-situ, radar, satellite, model outputs covering observations, forecasts, and analyses;
- Capable of handling various weather data formats: binary, ASCII, GRIB, NetCDF, HDF, etc.
- Experience in operating weather data assimilation (DA) systems such as WRFDA, GSI, etc.
- Experience in designing and executing one or more of operational NWP models such as WRF, NMMB, UFS, etc.
- Experience working in UNIX/Linux environments.
- Strong ability to independently learn, digest, and tailor existing algorithms, and/or design and implement new algorithms, along with testing, verification, and validation.
- Solid skills in algorithms coding using one or more other core scientific programming and/or software development languages including, Fortran, C/C+, Python; Scripting skills using Shell script, etc.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Team playing; Ability to communicate and coordinate with the Team Leader and other developers.
- Quick and responsive to implement Team leader' ideas and algorithms, asking questions and willing to try and learn.
- Familiarity with operational meteorological centers
- Experience in optimization of complex scientific code in a parallel programming environment;
- Experiences in running complex jobs, and processing large amounts of numerical output data on Mainframe supercomputers and/or workstations in a Linux environment, using advanced statistical and display tools.
Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder to qualify(US Citizen must live in US for 3-5 years prior to application) (Please indicate in your cover letter).To Apply
- Familiar with operational-critical aviation weather hazards, eg thunderstorm, convection, microburst, turbulence, winds, and icing and the general methodology to detect and monitor them from multi-source raw observation data.
- Experience with the GIT, eg GitLab repository
- Experience with SQL or NoSQL database
Please apply online at https://careers-imsg.icims.com . In your cover letter, please indicate the following information:
1) Timeline of availability
2) Citizenship Status
3) Salary requirements for considerations
NOTE: Provide three References